Wage and Hour – Workers’ Faq’s
- English FAQ (PDF)
- Filipino FAQ – Madalas na katanungan (PDF)
- Korean FAQ – л…ёлЏ™мІ кіј мќёл Ґк°њл°њл¶Ђ мќёкё€кіј м‹њк°„ кґЂл¦¬м†Њ (PDF)
- Samoan FAQ – O Aia Tatau mo se Tagata Galue (PDF)
- Spanish FAQ – Preguntas Frecuentes de los Empleados (PDF)
- Yup’ik FAQ – Calistet ApyutkuratukвЂ™ait (PDF)
1) what exactly is the wage that is minimum Alaska? Effective Jan. 1, 2020, AlaskaвЂ™s minimum wage is $10.19 each hour. This will be determined by multiplying all full hours worked within the pay duration by $10.19. This quantity could be the minimum amount that could be compensated to a member of staff as wages.
2) Does my manager need certainly to pay me more for overtime work? Yes, but you can find a few exceptions. In the event that you work significantly more than 8 hours within a time and/or a lot more than 40 hours in one week, you really must be compensated time-and-one-half (1.5 times) your hourly or regular wage for anyone additional hours which you worked. Contact the Wage and Hour management workplace ((907) 269-4900) when you have concerns.
3) If i will be perhaps not compensated per hour, do we nevertheless want to get minimal wage and overtime?
Yes. Regardless how you will be compensated, if the tasks are calculated on an hourly basis, piece-rate, payment or else, all workers are entitled to Alaska minimal wage and overtime unless there was a certain exemption which allows otherwise. Speak to your local Wage and Hour management workplace to make sure.
4) Can my employer direct me personally to your workplace overtime? Yes, but when you work over 8 hours in an individual time and/or over 40 hours within a week, your manager must spend you 1.5 times your hourly or regular wage for the people additional hours over 8 and/or over 40 which you worked. If for example the boss is certainly not having to pay you that overtime, then you can certainly report wage theft to your neighborhood Wage and Hour management workplace.
5) Can my boss provide me вЂњcomp timeвЂќ instead of having to pay me personally overtime? No. Giving you comp time in place of your overtime wages isn’t legal in Alaska. You will be eligible for overtime pay when you work overtime hours, also it needs to be compensated on your own paycheck and shown on the paystub.
6) Are salaried workers eligible to overtime? Being compensated a salary doesn’t mean you are maybe maybe not eligible to receive overtime. Some workers are exempt from overtime, such as for example professional, administrative, and employees that are professional all of these need extremely certain requirements to be met. Your real work duties, obligations and just how you’re compensated source weblink often determine your eligibility for overtime.
7) how employees that are many my employer have prior to he/she has got to spend overtime? a total that is grand of or higher. a boss who may have an overall total of just three (3) workers, or less, can spend his/her employees straight-time for several full hours worked.
8) My boss explained IвЂ™m an вЂњindependent contractor.вЂќ Just what does which means that? Broadly speaking, an unbiased specialist is just a business that is stand-alone. You an independent contractor, you may be working without the protection and benefits that are provided for employees, such as WorkersвЂ™ Compensation coverage, Unemployment Insurance coverage, and/or Social Security benefits if you are working under the direction of a boss, but your employer calls. Phone the WorkersвЂ™ Compensation Division at 269-4980, or your wage that is local and management workplace to inquire about for assistance.
9) have always been we eligible to holiday bonus pay? perhaps Not for legal reasons. It hinges on whether your boss has guaranteed to pay for getaway pay. Example: in case the manager guarantees to pay for you time-and-a-half for focus on any occasion, you would receive 1ВЅ times your rate that is regular of for the vacation hours worked. In the event your boss will not provide an advantage for vacation pay, you will be compensated just straight-time for getaway hours worked. In case your manager guarantees to cover vacation pay but has not yet founded a rate that is special and you also focus on the vacation, you might receive straight-time for eight hours of work and right time for eight hours of getaway pay.
10) have always been we eligible to sick leave? Holiday pay? Severance pay? Only when the company has guaranteed which you will get these re re payments. Sick keep, holiday pay are advantages supplied to a member of staff, permitting them to be paid whilst not working. Consequently, a manager just has to pay for these advantages if she or he has an insurance plan to cover such advantages, or has produced vow or includes a agreement to you to cover these advantages. The Department enforces a manager’s own guidelines for those types of re re re payments.
11) Do i must be covered “on-call” time? This is simply not very easy to respond to. Some time that is on-call payable plus some just isn’t.
Your freedom to follow your interests that are own “on-call” determines whether you really must be compensated. If you’re needed to carry a beeper or mobile phone but they are absolve to pursue your very own passions, you’d perhaps not need to be compensated until such time you need to react to a call. For this on-call time if you are required to remain at your employer’s place of business and are not allowed to pursue your own interests such as reading, visiting with others, or listening to the radio, your employer is required to pay you.
12) what’s the legislation breaks that are regarding dinner durations? Alaskan companies have to offer break periods with a minimum of half an hour for minors ages 14 through 17 whom work 5 or higher consecutive hours and are also planning to continue steadily to work. Companies are not necessary to provide breaks for workers 18 and over. In case the boss permits breaks, and so they past not as much as 20 mins, you truly must be taken care of the break. In case your manager enables dinner durations, the company is not needed to cover you for the dinner duration if it persists significantly more than 20 mins and also you do no work throughout that time.
13) Can my boss alter my price of pay? Yes, for as long as you might be offered written notice associated with the replace the payday before it requires impact. Any day up to and including the 20th for example, if your normal payday (the day you are paid your wages) is on the 20th of the month, your employer could give you written notice of a change in your rate of pay. All work carried out by you after the 20th will be in the rate that is new.